8 month pregnant and driving a bus?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

8 month pregnant and driving a bus?

Post  cleetus speckler on Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 pm

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2026187/London-bus-driver-Doris-Osei-kills-civil-servant-suffering-pedal-confusion.html

I find it difficult to believe that any company would allow a woman to drive a bus when they are within a month of giving birth. In my experience I've found that they are taken off driving duties and given alternative (and easier) employment until they go off on their maternity leave.

Last edited by cleetus speckler on Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : wrong paste)

cleetus speckler

Back to top Go down

Re: 8 month pregnant and driving a bus?

Post  freedompaisley on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:05 am

Is it a common problem of bus drivers getting the pedals mixed up when driving a bus you're not used to.

freedompaisley

Back to top Go down

Post  K1YRL on Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:43 am

freedompaisley wrote:Is it a common problem of bus drivers getting the pedals mixed up when driving a bus you're not used to.
Not in my experience.

Back to top Go down

Post  cleetus speckler on Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:54 am

freedompaisley wrote:Is it a common problem of bus drivers getting the pedals mixed up when driving a bus you're not used to.

It shouldn't be as most buses these days are automatic so you only have a choice of two. I've had quite a few occasions where I've taken over a bus in the town centre and I've never been on that type before. Main problem there is discovering what the various buttons and switches do as well as how to adjust the seat.

cleetus speckler

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious on Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:05 pm

I've done that in the car before when driving for the first time with chunkier shoes Embarassed well I didn't flat out accelerate instead of brake but I caught the throttle lol.

Not supposed to drive an unfamiliar bus until you've had training I'm told, can get into trouble if you have a bump and they find you've not had training for the type of bus. We had an Enviro 200 for two or three weeks a month or two ago and a driver I know told me he refused to drive it for that reason because the drivers at the outstation my local route is operated from have never had anything other than Dart/Dart SLF and Volvo Olympians in recent years.

So, if it was an unfamiliar bus, then er... you could end up in the shit anyway.
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  macllain on Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:31 pm

A bus is a bus, a pedal is a pedal. The hardest thing to do when driving something different from the norm is finding out how to turn the heater on, or just plain how to start the thing!

Confusing pedals is easy to do, done it myself but no-where near as serious as this, these things happen... im almost certain it had nothing to do with the bus she was driving... its just being used as an excuse.

macllain

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:21 pm

Me thinks there has been a mix up here. The bus driver wasn't pregnant, it was the daughter of the victim that was 8 months pregnant. I think it's a bit bullshitty about using the excuse the driver was unfamiliar with the bus. Sounds like she was probably running late, took the corner too fast, panicked and hit the wrong pedal.

http://thebdc.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  cleetus speckler on Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:54 pm

Daisy Dart wrote:Me thinks there has been a mix up here. The bus driver wasn't pregnant, it was the daughter of the victim that was 8 months pregnant. I think it's a bit bullshitty about using the excuse the driver was unfamiliar with the bus. Sounds like she was probably running late, took the corner too fast, panicked and hit the wrong pedal.

The article says;

The court also heard Osei gave birth to her first child this February after being told conception was 'virtually impossible'

mind you just before that it says:

Ms Lewis, who was eight-months' pregnant when her father died, paid tribute to the Jamaican-born 'rock', who prior to joining the Ministry of Defence in 2000, spent 31 years with Royal Mail.

So the Daily Mail probably misreported this and I jumped to the conclusion that the driver was pregnant.

It's not often that I'm right but I'm wrong again.

cleetus speckler

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top