Does Drive Green dominate the conversation at your depot?

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does Drive Green dominate the conversation at your depot?

Post  Daisy Dart on Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:12 am

It certainly does at mine. Sometimes it's a relief to hear someone talking about football, just to get away from Drive Green this and Drive Green that. Most of the talk about Drive Green does seem to revolve around people moaning that they were driving along at 30mph in a straight line when they got an amber light for some inconceivable reason! I really wish we had an option where we could opt out of Drive Green, I'd certainly go for it!

http://thebdc.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Re: Does Drive Green dominate the conversation at your depot?

Post  WOLVERINE /// on Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:49 pm

It has stopped now,but it did get a mention when it first came out. Smile
WOLVERINE ///
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:46 am

Do you get rewards if you have a low score or improve your score?

Back to top Go down

Post  K1YRL on Thu Mar 24, 2011 9:26 am

No it doesn't dominate canteen chat anymore.As for rewards,yes they are still there but there are only 4 a week and it's lucky dip so any driver who was green get's entered into the draw.
So a driver with a score of say 20 could win the top prize beating a driver with a score of say 1 which i think isn't fair.The top money should be given to the drivers with the lowest score.

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:26 pm

K1YRL wrote:No it doesn't dominate canteen chat anymore.As for rewards,yes they are still there but there are only 4 a week and it's lucky dip so any driver who was green get's entered into the draw.
So a driver with a score of say 20 could win the top prize beating a driver with a score of say 1 which i think isn't fair.The top money should be given to the drivers with the lowest score.

I think that's fairer than what we have. Your score has to be in single figures to win the best driver prize. Although my score is usually green it's usually between 10 and 15, so no chance of me winning it! Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post  macllain on Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:15 pm

We have lowest scoreing driver wins 50 squid, but they can only win it once in 6 weeks so it just drops down the list till they find someone who is eligible, and if your in the green (under 20) they put your name into a hat and pick a winner for the 30 quid, but again you can only win it once in 6 weeks!

All in all a not bad system, just a pity mines is 74!

macllain

Back to top Go down

Post  WOLVERINE /// on Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:25 pm

Yes we get a reward for the lowest score,there is also a second and third prize winner
WOLVERINE ///
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious on Fri Mar 25, 2011 6:24 am

macllain wrote:All in all a not bad system, just a pity mines is 74!

Have you been called in for tea and biscuits yet? Laughing
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  macllain on Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:32 am

Funnily enough the day after posting that i got a letter saying id need to stop driving like a maniac.. but its the buses that are broken.. no ma drivin!

macllain

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:48 am

macllain wrote:Funnily enough the day after posting that i got a letter saying id need to stop driving like a maniac.. but its the buses that are broken.. no ma drivin!

Unfortunately they just won't accept that their system is flawed. Oh no it's the driver's fault, Drive Green is perfect and flawless!!

Back to top Go down

Post  macllain on Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:28 am

There favourite, "all the buses are the same" - pish!

I do a pretty rural school run every morning with a fully loaded decker on fast winding A roads, so the bus is leaning a bit when cornering at speed, my regular decker is sensative as anything and i am constantly red, where as when i get just about anything else im green all the way... they just wont face facts!

macllain

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious on Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:38 pm

I might be wrong, but I think ours are mostly pretty well calibrated shockingly...
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:56 am

One day I did a route that goes through an estate that has one roundabout after another. I did it in a double decker and didn't get one amber or red light. The next day I did it in a single deck Scania. On ever one of them frigging roundabouts I got an amber or a red light!

Back to top Go down

Post  macllain on Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:33 pm

On the subject of drivegreen, i see its finally been added to the driver profile. im at 6.3% whatever that means, green is below 2.5% and yellow is 4.5%

I wonder how long it will be before the notices start going up threatning to sack us unless we do not idle at all! Im going to need to start peeling the little stickers off the buses encouraging me to be lean, green and idlefree! More Pish!!!

macllain

Back to top Go down

Post  K1YRL on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:59 am

Well i was in a traffic jam that wasn't moving the other day and as a consequence my idling time has gone into the red.
Am i bothered? AIF Razz

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:30 am

Switching off the engine, then re starting uses more fuel, and makes the bus beltch out a load of clag when re-starting, plus it puts extra wear & tear on the alternator, batteries & starter motors, which on Volvos is an absolute bastard to change, as half the engine bay has to be stripped out to get at them...

First have been suckered by the bullshit of the company that invented Drivegreen, and so have Arriva & Stagecoach.

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:39 am

Here's an interesting one, and another reason why I think Drive Green is rubbish. I was in the bus station the other day stood at the stand. It was nearing time to go so I turned on the engine and then keyed into the Drive Green, which bleeped once and after all the lights lit up it settled down to green. As I sat back to wait for any last minute stragglers I suddenly noticed that the LED lights on the drive green went to flashing red and then to a steady amber. I wondered how could I possibly incur an event when the bus is stood still at a bus stand doing 0mph and in neutral? I checked out this on the website and at the time when I was stood in the bus station it'd had given me a red mark for braking! Braking?! How could I have been possibly braking when I was stood still with the bus in neutral? It's because of things like this that I have no faith in Drive Green and choose to ignore it totally. I only key into it because you get nagged at if you don't. I bloody hate the thing and wish they'd get rid of it and let us get on with our jobs without this bloody distraction!

Back to top Go down

Post  madmentalmike on Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:21 pm

We have a similar thing here called RIBAS, which flashes a red light for over Revving, excessive Idling, harsh Braking, harsh Acceleration or over Speeding. Like Daisy's story above, it's not uncommon to get done for harsh acceleration/braking while the handbrake is on, or even both harsh acceleration AND harsh braking at the same time.

These systems really are stupid, and there's absolutely nothing management can do if you consistently get poor scores, as most of us do not as a result of bad driving rather the system not working correctly. Massive waste of money on the company's part, and in the current climate I'm sure it's something they could do without!

madmentalmike

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious on Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:20 pm

The tracking feature which scores your driving and logs your info might not work and be stupid, but think of it this way... has it or has it not improved your driving over the years and saved them money on fuel? It certainly has here, as a passenger I've noticed it.
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  Daisy Dart on Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:44 pm

Pukerlicious wrote:The tracking feature which scores your driving and logs your info might not work and be stupid, but think of it this way... has it or has it not improved your driving over the years and saved them money on fuel? It certainly has here, as a passenger I've noticed it.

My driving didn't need improving. It was fine as it was. Drive green hasn't done anything other than piss me and a lot of other perfectly good bus drivers off!

I'm not sure what you do for a living Pukerlicious, but would you like it if your employers began treating you as if you were a cretin, fixing stupid things up that distract you whilst trying to get on with your work?

Back to top Go down

Post  WOLVERINE /// on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:08 pm

Same here driving is fine,Green Drive has done nothing 2 improve it at all. Smile
WOLVERINE ///
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:28 pm

I would say Pukey is what is known as a busveg student...

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Paladin on Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:22 pm

Drivers do not need a box with flashing lights to tell them how to drive properly (maintaining progress along with good perception) and smoothly.....if a driver is incapable of doing that they shouldn't have a driving licence in the first place.
Paladin

Back to top Go down

Post  Pukerlicious on Sun May 01, 2011 5:34 am

lmao, no I completely understand what you're all saying and I do agree with you, I'm just saying one of the reasons supposedly for having it is to improve passenger comfort and here at least I have noticed it for the most part. Of course it's not made a difference for everyone, but a lot of our drivers used to drive like a bunch of lunatics at times and nowadays it just seems like that's been cut down noticeably. The area's driving standard in general is quite poor to be honest when compared to the rest of the UK (follow Veolia for a day) and First are now sticking out a bit. Don't get me wrong though, I'm by no means kissing First's arse, I do for the most part despise them. In some cases I think it's gone too far the other way and it's gotten to a point where the service is slower because of it, they can afford to be a bit more brisk in many situations without reducing passenger comfort and it gets on my nerves. It's saying something when Veolia timetables a journey as 18 minutes and First timetables exactly the same journey as 25...

I am by no means denying DriveGreen has its problems and some things just don't make sense, but in our case one of the things it's supposed to do appears to have worked to some extent here. If there was a vote whether it should stay or go I'd still vote it should go. This being said though, it has not noticeably reduced the number of minor accidents we have.
Pukerlicious

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Sun May 01, 2011 7:32 am

Stop saying we, as if you work in the industry. You do not understand the machinations of all this drive green crap, and how management are using it as a way to discipline drivers, and generally make them more stressed. The system never works properly, and sadly in 99% of cases, they believe what the computer says, even if it said the bus was harshly braking,and accelerating, and steering sharply, when in reality, the bus was parked on a stand loading passengers. If they want to save fuel, buy buses that have decent economy in the first place. It isn't bloody rocket science. And something that was proved recently, all this Euro emissions bollocks doesn't work, as smog returned to London. So much for the LEZ..

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top