Welsh service cuts

:: The Depot :: Bus News

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Welsh service cuts

Post  Bristol LH on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Around Swansea, the local council have axed a large amount of subsidies for tendered services. First have announced major cutbacks because of this. The cuts are around £200,000 on the original budged of around £1.4million, so that is around a 15% cut. OUCH!

The free OAP's and credit crunch are to blame. The same is happening all over the country, and Wales uses the same system as Scotland for re-reimbursement , so expect the same all over Scotland too.

It is looking very bleak for bus services all over the country

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Welsh service cuts

Post  Bristol LH on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:25 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Some poor sods will lose their buses.

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  peanutbutter on Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:40 pm

No surprise there with first, to many of there routes are subsidised,

I do have to ask IF a contract is already in operation and signed will the council have to pay money to bus company for cancelling the contract?

Reason I ask is there is a high number of areas up here where contract are not to get change until the earliest in some areas 2012. And WILL SPT has found a tone of money after there sacking of manager and the expesionses clean up.

Many bus compaines should be trying to expand there network, There still plenty of people needing to get to work, its just the bus network is crap
peanutbutter

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:09 pm

You have no idea about economics do you Peanut? Buses do not run on fresh air. You will find that well over 50% of bus services in this country rely on subsidies, simply because there isn't the ridership to cover the costs. Fuel, wage and insurance costs keep escalating, along with the cost of having to put every driver through a CRB check, and driver CPC course. It is not just First in the Swansea area who will be cutting back, all ops will be. CRB checks only last 3 years and every driver will have to do a CPC course every 5..A CRB is around £80 per driver, and the CPC can be up to £750 per driver, and that has to be done.

Operators are also being forced to renew fleets because of the ever nearing deadline of the DDA act that will force every, and I mean every service bus, and coach to be fully wheelchair accessible, and bearing in mind the cheapest low floor vehicle at the moment is the short 7.1M Optare Solo, at the wrong side of £85,000 plus vat, which only has 21 seats max! An average full size single deck Volvo is around £110-£115,000 plus VAT, and a very basic low floor decker at around £150,000 plus VAT. Small companies, and some of the bigger groups simply cannot afford this, and banks are reluctant to give finance too, and who can blame them?

I have told you time and again that the country is broke, and unemployment is at its highest in over 20 years, and climbing, so the commuter traffic on buses and trains is declining too.

Councils are also having to pay out more in council tax and housing benefit, as more and more people join the dole queue. So they have even less income, and more outgoings, so costs have to be dramatically slashed.

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:11 pm

And there will be no payouts for terminating contracts either. Services like Dial-a-Ride soon will no longer be free either.

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Bristol LH on Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:34 pm

An example of a county council contract I used to drive...In a full 12 hr shift, I would pay in about £110 on a good day. There were my wages at £9 per hr= £108, fuel for the bus around 80 litres of diesel @ about 85p a litre (subsidised) =£68, cleaning staff to pay, road tax to pay, insurance premium, supervisory staff to pay, finance payment for the bus, premises overheads...

It was estimated that each bus cost around £400 per day in running costs and was bringing in roughly a quarter of that, so the council had to make up the shortfall. This wasn't a rural community either. It was a busy city centre! And we had 10 buses out, being subsidised at around £300 per bus per day. The council had to make major budget cuts due to overspend, and several of the routes were axed.

One service that had to go, a busy day on that was about £40 on a 12 hr duty, and even with the subsidy payment, was running at a loss of around £50 per day. The company and the council jointly decided it was no longer viable, and pulled the plug.

Bristol LH
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  RoadRage on Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Shocked
You know it doesn't hit you until its on your door step really, I hope no one in Swansea looses their job, Cut and paste a few duty's and a few 4 day week's in the rota is better than jack shit. Even on the odd 4 day a week you can still make it up with overtime with sickness and holidays to cover.
But i have to say First really do run some pointless shit around here.
RoadRage

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top